Sunday, February 14, 2010

My Stroke of Insight by Jill Bolte Taylor P.h.D.


My Stroke of Insight: A Brain Scientist's Personal Journey by Jill Bolte Taylor, P.h.D.


I've been meaning to read this book for over a year now. It was suggested by another daughter of a stroke survivor. I wasn't ready to read it until now.


This book was incredible. For the first half of the book, I didn't want to stop reading. Hearing the accounts of this woman from her own perspective; the things her brain was experiencing were communicated so well that I had couldn't put the book down. I could hear this woman, this brain scientist, speaking to me directly.


And while I read the book to get some insight into what had occurred with my dad's previous strokes, I began to wonder, "I wonder if these thoughts could be similar to those of a person with autism. The communication is there, but it won't come out. The brain is working and the intellect is there, but it can't be communicated to the outside world." The frustration that could cause!


And as I continued through the second half of the book, I became more and more interested in brain research.


Next book about the brain: The Essential Difference: The Truth About the Male & Female Brain by Simon Baron-Cohen

No comments: